My Art World Blog

My Art World Blog

Welcome - ברוכים הבאים

Here you could read articles, ideas, thoughts and my prespectives in art history.

I hope you will enjoy my blog and your comments will be more than welcome!




Pages

Jan 26, 2011

My Tooth Extraction and Renaissance Art





Michaelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio, Tooth Extraction,1607-9, oil on canvas, 140×195 cm, Palazzo Pitti, Florence, Italy.

This painting describes exactly how I felt this week about my tooth extraction.
This procedure is soooo painful and made me stay in bed for a while and to think on tooth extraction in the renaissance art and that what I found out:
the painful gaze of the "victim" haven't changed.
thanks god all the other stuff like sterilization, tools and methods – have changed.
So here I am bringing you some paintings that describes the agony of the patient and the insistence of the so called dentist, enjoy :)

Gerrit Dou,The Extraction of Tooth, 1630-5, oil on wood, 32×26 cm, Louvre Museum, Paris, France.


Adriaen Jansz. Van Ostade, Barber Extracting of Tooth, 1630-35, oil on wood, 34×41 cm, Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, Austria


Gerrit van Honthorst, The Dentist, 1622, oil on canvas,147×219 cm Louvre Museum, Paris, France.

No comments:

Post a Comment